Thursday, June 4, 2009

June 3 Recap

Everything went very well!
Got through Security and everything in St. Louis pretty quickly, and then walked to my gate.
Have to say, walking through the airport by myself was pretty cool...
Got to the gate and a plane to Charolette was there, was confused for a little bit, but I was just there really early.
When the Plane was getting ready to board for Raleigh, the people at the gate were asking over the speaker for a minor, then asked for a Passenger Smith, so I got up and headed over. The lady looked confused and asked if I was travelling with papers.
What?
was my intelligent reply.
What´s your last name?
Smith.
Your first name?
Hannah.
Okay, never mind.
Turns out they were looking for a 9 and half year old Kaylee Smith, going to see her dad.
Hated the flight there, small plane, I wasn´t feeling good on that flight. Closed my eyes and half dozed through it.
Landed at Raleigh Durham and took about 20 steps to get to the next gate I needed. 
That was a cool little ariport.
The flight to MIA was much better. Sat in MIA for a couple of hours, but it wasn´t too bad, it wasn´t that difficult to find my gate either, even though I had to take the train out.
Walked with and elderly catholic lady going to Lima to visit some ´sisters´ that were down there.
It was fun to just watch people.
Sitting next to me were a family of four, going to Machu Pichu and Cuzco, Across from me was a German family (i spent probably 7 minutes trying to figure out what their passport said) The dad was listening to Michael W. Smith on his Ipod.

Sitting right next to me was Isabelle, from Peru. She has four sisters, one lives in FL and one in TX, she had been in FL for two weeks for her Nephew´s wedding. We held a relativley decent conversation with regards to the fact that I speak no Spanish at all. Her English was very broken but she was able to get her questions across. Love her. She told me when I come back to Lima, I need to go in the Summer. She was also the first person (not counting the flight attendant over the speaker) to welcome me to Peru when we had landed.

On the flight to Lima, I sat next to a man who was originally from Zambia, and now lives in Jamaca. He is an Irrigation engineer, and also a New Age Spiritualist.
He was very friendly and very helpful, helped me navigate through immigration and baggage claim.
Immigration actually didn´t take very long, the line moved pretty well, baggage claim took longer, or at least it seemed to, because I couldn´t find my bag.
Got through baggage check pretty quick and then walked through one set of doors, then another into a huge room with a massive amount of people, I walked slowly looking and listening for Rachel and there she was! I made it to Peru!
Started my day around 6.15, fell asleep around 1.30. It was fun though.

Now I´m sitting in Rachel´s house, updating. She´s at school and will be back shortly.
I´ve got Mythbusters in Spanish on in the background, for some noise, and I need to go find a spot for everything I brought.

By the way Melissa Ham, you are considered a hero for getting all of my stuff and Rachel´s stuff into that suitcase! Thanks so much for your help!

Alrighty, that´s all I´ve got for now.
Talk to ya all later!




Go ye therefore and teach all nations... Matthew 28:19

3 comments:

Jean Melcher said...

Hey Hannah - this is Jean at Dad's work. I'm so excited for you! I'm glad that you made it safe and pray for your safe return to us. Enjoy! I look forward to reading more.

Dad said...

did their passport say Bundesrepublik Deutschland?

Dad said...

Stepping out from behind that wall where you get your baggage makes an impact doesn't it? I had never experienced anything like that mass of people and all the sound and heat they made.