Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Influence

Good evening all!

I worked yesterday, had a very nice time. It was a long night, I guess that's just Tuesdays though. I got to talk to two of my coworkers about homeschooling, and the adoption (for those of you out of the loop my parents and my sibs and I are trying to adopt)
It was very cool, I really like the people I work with.

Had school today and church tonight.
Tonight we talked about being under the influence of the world. Pastor C. gave us a list of "Biblical ways to discern whether a certain activity glorifies God" Because I watch movies and tv a lot, that's what I will generally apply it to.
Here's the list:

  1. Does it present a temptation to sin? (Rom 13:14; 2Tim 2:22)
  2. Is it beneficial? (1 Cor 6:12a; 10:23)
  3. Is it enslaving? (1 Cor 6:12b) (I define it as something you have to do, something you have to watch, putting it at much to high a priority, in my case, something that would go above schoolwork, Bible reading, Prayer time)
  4. Does it honor and glorify God? (1 Cor 10:31) (Ouch, that one hurts)
  5. Does it promote the good of others? Is it edifying? (1 Cor 10:33) (Ouch again)
  6. Does it cause anyone to stumble? (1 Corinthians 10:32) This is a big thing too, it shows how selfish I can be. Am I so selfish that I'm not willing to give up something so stupid. (and really, just about any show is not that important, it really isn't beneficial to me,) but, in not willing to give up that show, I have decided to let someone spiritually hurt, and stumble and fall? That's something to think about.
  7. Does it arrive from a pure motive? (Jeremiah 17:9) Now, the motive in life is to glorify God in all you do, you were saved to glorify God. So, when you are watching that show/movie, who/what are you glorifying?
So, now, I need to take some time to think about what I've been watching, and if I'm going to continue watchin it or not.

Another couple of points made, include:

  • Movies and TV should not be default free time
  • The only thing that's non-negotialbe, is that I have to do what God has said, I can give up TV time, that is negotiable.
  • You should be able to critique on Biblical Values. TV shows, movies, music, anything, you should be discussing not only the good graphics of the movie, or the good dialouge, but what were some elements of truth, what was error? so on and so forth.

I really appreciate all of my pastors at my church. I just thought you guys should know that.

I took a practice ACT test for the English test today, did relatively well, so, now I have to look at the math one, and I read over some of it and I am reaaallly nervous about that one. So, we'll see.

I don't really know how to study for a math test...

Alrighty, I am off.

Night all!



Go ye therefore and teach all nations... Matthew 28:19

No comments: