Saturday, August 22, 2009

"While the gold teeth were nice....I'd be a bit more choosy if I were you..."

Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 6:03pm
I wrote this on FB a little while ago, and most of you have probably heard this story already, but if not-here you go.

***

Okay, so I was at work on Tuesday and every once in a while, a non-QT employee, will come and SCRUB our bathrooms.
So I was talking to the guy that night, he was pretty nice. After we had talked for a while he looks at me and asks:

"Are you mixed race?"
". . . Excuse me?"
"Are you mixed race?"
". . . no."
"Really, you're white?"
"yes."
"You're very pretty."
"Oh, why thank you!"
"Seriously though, you're very pretty."

Well, we talked a little bit later and then he looks at me and quietly asks:

"Would it be cool if I call you some time?"
uhh...
Didn't know how to respond to that, so I pulled out my first line of defense-something that should shut down a few guys.

"What church do you go to?"
We were still talking quietly so he didn't hear me correctly.
"I go."
"Where???"
"St. Louis."
Okay, not what I meant, but okay.

Defense number 2--should shut almost any guy down.

"Guess how old I am."
He gave me a confused look.
"How old?"
"Seventeen."

~sad face~

Yes! Victory!
"When will you be 18?"
ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
"Not 'till January."

He paused.
"How 'bout we're just friends 'till then? Would that be cool?"
NO!...Come on man Really? REALLY!?

I don't even know the guys name!
Oh, and by the way, the guy is probably in his 30's.

I don't remember what I said to that, but I pulled out my third and final defense-almost guaranteed to get rid of any guy.

"Look, if you can convince my dad-no problem-sure."

"OOoohh, that'll be tough!"

Well DUH!!! You're closer to HIS age than mine!

Then he said something about being black.

"No, no, that's not the problem. He doesn't care what color a guy is, so long as he believes in Jesus Christ and is living his life right-color doesn't matter."
"Really?!"
"Yeah."

Silence

"What's his number?"

OH GOOD GRIEF MAN!
I didn't want to give out my dad's cell number to some random guy who knew that I was a minor but was still interested.
I told him that I'd talk to him Friday--he said he was supposed to be back to QT then--so, I'll see how serious he is tomorrow.

After he left I told the two guys I was working with about what happened, and later one of them came into the cooler.

"Hey Hannah, I have some advice for you."
"What?" I figured I was doing something wrong.
He said:
"While the gold teeth were nice...and he's got a pretty good job...I'd be a bit more choosy if I were you."

No comments: